How to: DHV

Comments

• jersey_guyjersey_guy NJPosts: 108Silver Member
    steu2817 said:
    Sometimes it the little things that every guy knows (or should know) how to do.

This past weekend we drove to Nashville for Josie's baptism.

On the way back, the car got a flat tire. 

Wife pulled out her AAA card and cell phone and was about to call.

Me: "What are you doing?"

Her: "Calling triple A to help us"

Me: "Don't be silly. I'll have the spare tire on before AAA even gets here."

Her: "Well let's just see if you're right" as she starts dialing the phone.

I had the tire changed and we were back on the road in 6 minutes 23 seconds. Who knows how long it would have taken AAA?
    I'm not sure if this even counts as a DHV.  More like averted a DLV.  Any guy that has to call AAA for a tire should be embarassed.  I will give my father a pass on his AAA call this past winter because he's 79yo and it was snowing.

There is NO excuse for any guy to not be able to change a tire.   I've taught my 10 and 12 yo daughters to do it.  I make them help me on most of my projects, whether rebuilding cars or stuff around the house.  They are also competent with a fair amount of power tools, including the big table saw.  Oh, they are also both really good athletes ans straight A students.  I feel bad for any interested beta guys in the future.  I just hope I'm not setting my daughters up for disappointment.
    Chief_TC
  • DaveBowmanDaveBowman Posts: 5,823Member
    huh. Just fixed the dishwasher on the weekend. 

That explains sat night. I thought that came out of the blue.

TemplarAlphaBelleLiquidSound
    Shit man, ya. Attitude and posture are huge.

I've even experimented walking around straight vs hunched, strut vs no strut, fast vs stroll, etc.

Huge difference in IOIs.

Neanderthal2000TemplarTimSim1971
  • SomeDudeSomeDude Posts: 803Silver Member
    I pissed and moaned a bit above about how none of this stuff was ever treated as a DHV by my STBX...

I doubt I am the only person dealing with this... 

You could put it down to lack of attraction I guess.. but isn't this stuff meant to build attraction? ... and in our case, well she did this even early on in our relationship when she was still in full blown dopamine land.

The gut feeling I always got was that anything I achieved was somehow taking something away from her - especially if I just did something that she thought was hard without breaking a sweat. It was all just another blow to her own lack of self worth; some underlying resentment that came with every achievement. It's not like I gloated either, and honestly, other people praising me was even worse!

So just rambling, and some sour grapes... but sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    Listen man DHVs don't work if she's just not into you @SomeDude.

Some things just aren't in the cards.

Chief_TC
  • TemplarTemplar WashingtonPosts: 3,151Silver Member
    @SomeDude - and some women (and men) are just absolutely clueless.
    Listen man DHVs don't work if she's just not into you @SomeDude.

Some things just aren't in the cards.
    They didn't "work" even when she was head over heels into me :)

Actually... thinking back... while personal achievements never meant much to her... she used to have a very positive reaction to me being "boss man".... she came to a lot of work events with me years ago when I ran the development arm at a startup, she very much enjoyed the whole boss / minions thing... think she got a kick out of the deferential vibe going one, and herself getting some of that as well, being "boss man's woman".

So there you go... competency = meh ... power = tingles... different strokes for different pussies folks I guess.
    liquidKickboxer
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevillePosts: 1,582Silver Member
    Oh, and peacock like hell. It's worth it. You're clearly saying "LOOK AT MEEE!" and "I don't give a shit what you think, I know I look great" and it's extremely fun.

It sure as hell is....
    "The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work." - Mark Twain

"I will be the change I want" - livefreeordie
  • justsomeguyjustsomeguy San Francisco. Posts: 213Silver Member
    SomeDude said:
    So there you go... competency = meh ... power = tingles... different strokes for different pussies folks I guess.
    competency has never = tingles on it's own.  Competency suggests power -- and if the woman in question respects that competency -- and sees the relationship with power -- then you get tingles.
  • OneEyedDrunkOneEyedDrunk DFW Posts: 1,673Silver Member
    liquid said:
    Here are some that my husband does-

He's a cop and cleans his guns at the table where I can watch.
    When we put in a new bathroom and kitchen a few years ago, he did all the plumbing and electrical work.
    He paid cash for the renovations.
    And he paid off the mortgage a few months ago.
    He tells me "no" when necessary.
    He has a great mustache.

Liking the cleaning guns. Mine are totally dirty, and its been a while since my wife griped at the smell of break free. Gotta get going on that I guess.
    oneeyeddrunk.weebly.com
  • Adam_SAdam_S Queenslander!Posts: 1,541Silver Member
    Shit man, ya. Attitude and posture are huge. I've even experimented walking around straight vs hunched, strut vs no strut, fast vs stroll, etc. Huge difference in IOIs.
    This, this, a thousand times this. Heal and toe, heal and toe. Head up, shoulders back, big strides. There's a reason they get people to march like that in the army - it looks well hard.

It also works well on kids if you're a teacher.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

• georgegeorge Posts: 1,134Silver Member
  • SalukiSaluki United StatesPosts: 612Silver Member
    It seems like everything I say here is contrarian, nevertheless I think little of this stuff is related to 'high value.'  It's more about appealing to the cavewoman brain.

The Mr. may be bigshot scientist at Bigtime University, but's Mrs. is attracted to the guy who comes to fix the toilet.  Exaggerated, but I've seen this happen.  In my home.
    "Why chase a girl that doesn't want to get caught?" - Don Draper
    "As long as you can get it up, I'll want it in." - Mrs. Saluki, just before marriage
    "I said that?!" - Mrs. Saluki 20 years later
    DanG